View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:40 AM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
That's where we have to differ. I actually did my driving licence with a manual and on a few occasions also use my parents car (which is a manual) when I visit them. So I have experience with both manuals and automatic. And IMO it is just the opposite of what you are saying.

Especially when you are driving in a city, an automatic allows you to focus much more on the road and the traffic around you, whereas when you are driving a manual a lot of attention is diverted to the shifting process.
You shouldn't have to concentrate on shifting, that should be a reflex that you don't even think about. If you find you have to pay attention to the actual process of shifting then your a poor driver.

Knowing when to shift on the other hand forces you to pay more attention. Should I downshift or is this guy infront of me going to slow even more so should I justt use the brakes? If I am about to upshift is there something around me that will cause me to have to react while I am shifting. The light ahead is about to turn green I should begin to slowly release the clutch.