View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:38 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Here are the issues I have with a cut-and-cover tunnel for the Stormont Connector:

- most of the New Westminster section wouldn't require bulldozing any buildings, but a lot of the route through Burnaby would
- it would be expensive as hell, $4-5 billion just for the tunnel
- placarded trucks carrying dangerous goods wouldn't be allowed to use it (just as they're not allowed to use the Massey Tunnel
- it solves a problem that doesn't exist

The idea of the Stormont Connector is just that: an idea. It'll never come to fruition.
It wouldn't be that much, especially if it was cut and cover. It would basically just be a few overpasses built together as a lid. Super easy for the Burnaby side, since it wouldn't even be in live traffic. Mostly just geogrid walls, tickbacks and a roof of precast beams.

I think having a real north-south route in the region we be hugely advantageous. As is all the connections from Hwy 1 to the 91/99 are garbage unless you go to the SFPR in Surrey and Langley. This could be a freeway to freeway connection very easily. The cut and cover section would only need to be about 800m long.

This would connect Hastings, Lougheed, Hwy 1, Como Lake Rd, and Cariboo Rd with the new bridge with zero diversion through the rest of New West.

If they toll the Patullo, they could just as soon toll Stormont with the same system. I'd bet it would be well under $1B.