Thread: HRM by Design
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Height limits should never be an "across the board" approach, especially in a city like Halifax, and especially when the "limit" is shorter than buildings which already exist in the city. Let's face it, is a 32, 36, or even 40 storey building on the Cogswell lands going to be visible from the Citadel courtyard? I would sincerely doubt it. I haven't read the plan personally, but based on the summary replies given here, the rest of it sounds good.
Yes... a 32 story building would be clearly visible from the Citadel courtyard... but that is not a protected view of "historic" significance.

Personally... I would rather see height downtown than on Cogswell. Not on Barrington Street... and not right up beside the hill (like the Midtown proposal)... but anything below Barrington should be fair game. And there really aren't many historic buildings below Barrington. I can think of Bedford Row and the northern ends of Granville / Hollis... and the Brewery of course... but for the most part there are very few historic buildings below Barrington.