View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I don't know the details, but it was a number of years ago, though. IIRC, I think he was wanting to add a dormer but he told me was that it needed to be approved based on appearance, not structure.

Have you actually applied to do renovations? He found out during the process to get a permit, from what I remember.
Hmm. Interesting. It certainly wasn't mentioned at any point when we bought the house. I'm just guessing that there are no restrictions, due to the number of renovations going on in the area right now, affecting everything from cladding to additions. None of the neighbours have ever mentioned that either, and the people to the left of my house have a huge third-storey addition that eliminated the roofline and made the house into a rectangle, basically. They did that maybe five-six years ago.

But there could be something I don't know about. And I'd bet there are restrictions on Young Avenue itself, since those buildings seem to be very carefully kept in accordance with historical appearance.