View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Im all for improving safety but I think you think people are stupid and should walk around wrapped in bubble wrap and helmets, because you know they might trip over something and hurt them selves.

If there is one thing I have learned it is that people are very good at adapting to their environment. If they live in some small town with no sidewalks then they learn how to watch out for cars and not get them selves killed. Just like drivers learn how to not hit people. Its not too difficult. Do people sometimes still get hit? Sure....But monkeys also sometimes fall out of trees. Shit can always happen, put a sidewalk in and the people and drivers get a bit less careless and next thing you know everyone has adjusted their behavior to meet their acceptable risk level again and your back where you started.

But yeah like I said improving safety through improved designs and layouts of roads and sidewalks is good obviously, but just dont assume all initiatives will improve safety. What improves safety is removing or highlighting hazards that people dont often perceive as hazards./rant

As far as taxes go, remote areas use up their fair share of provincial revenues, its not like locating a hospital in a little town, or a school, or having school buses rn around and pick up kids form remote areas every day is free. Same with servicing these places. If you can show that these areas really get short changed then give the people living there a income tax break to even it out.
Next time read the thread before posting such a ridiculous rant. The discussion was on possibilities on how to better spend carbon tax revenue FROM THE REGION WHERE IT WAS COLLECTED. That sounds fair doesn't it.

People adapting by not walking or cycling is not an acceptable solution. Neither is having people badly injured and having to patch them up. It would be a much better use of taxpayers' money in the first place to create safer places for people to cycle and walk where they at least have some protection from careless and reckless drivers. Note that drivers are already "bubble wrapped" by a bunch of steel, padding and measures such as airbags and seat belts. I suppose you don't like these either. Well, get a heart then.