View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Random question, hopefully some people can chime in and provide feedback.

My partner and I are looking to purchase a home in the west end of the city around Woodroffe & Carling. Apparently the neighbourhood is called Whitehaven? I don't have much experience in the west end of the city as I've always lived very centrally..

-Wondering if you guys can provide feedback on neighborhood. The neighbourhood looks very nice but we find Carling Ave to be a very mixed bag, not sure around surrounding areas.

-Carlingwood mall nearby seems old and in need of a refresh. Are there any big redevelopment plans for it? Tried to browse through the threads on here but couldn't find anything specific. There's a big construction project going on there right now, didn't know if it's a tower/rental project of it's a new Canadian Tire? I was confused..

Any tips or feedback would help and be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Hello everyone, long-time listener, first time caller here.

Depends what you're looking for. I actually think Whitehaven is a nice little enclave. Very suburban-esque however, but if you don't mind that you get big lots, close to transit, capital pathway system access, quiet, proximity to good public schools. Some cons are that you'd most likely be using a car regularly, even for simple tasks like grabbing a few groceries. Its walk score is probably pretty low. Carling and Woodroofe are both a nightmare to bike down or walk along. If you're used to centretown it might a big adjustment.

Loads of developments coming your way along the Carling corridor. The construction you see at Carlingwood right now is the new Canadian Tire. Lincoln fields will be under redevelopment for the next +20 years, multiple towers proposed around Carlingwood, several lots prime for redevelopment are listed for sale along Carling Avenue, and a bunch of infills. But that's not a bad thing. The increase in population will probably bring some new shops and restaurants to take advantage of, and increase property values.

In conclusion it depends what you're looking for in a neighbourhood. If you value a quiet, low density neighbourhood, with access to schools and green space to raise the kids than it's a decent place to buy. If you're looking for a more urban walkable neighbourhood with a choice of great restaurants and meeting places that you can ditch the car keys, than this ain't it.