View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Metro, I appreciate your ideas and your passion, but is it possible for you to fire off a single post on this thread without slagging Yaletown? I get that you seem to have some issues with the area (what they are exactly, I haven't yet figured out) and that you don't want a carbon copy built in NEFC - but I think we probably all agree with that, and that's not the City's plan for the area in any case.
A good question that deserves an answer.

I do not have a problem with Yaletown itself, I actually like Yaletown (although I would change a thing or two if i could).

My problem is, as of late, it seems that the entire downtown core is quickly becoming one giant Yaletown, that I do not like.

I like to have districts in a city, such as vibrant entertainment areas (that can differ from each other as well), bustling business districs, shopping districts and residential districts along with mix use around the district edges, each with their own flavour, and I feel we are loosing that to a tide of over priced condos, many of which sit unoccupied for the majority of the year.

And it seems that the majority people who want the ducts taken down (such as the councilor who brought this up in the first place) are the people who simply want to plop a few more Yaletown style developments in their footprint for a quick one time cash grab.

I feel that keeping the ducts gives us an opportunity to build a funky urban district that could differ from anything we have right now, therefore making the city more interesting, while not wasting land and not cutting off road lanes into the city core.

So I guess that is what I mean, I like Yaletown a lot, but I would like Yaletown to remain in Yaletown, for if everywhere downtown becomes more like Yaltown, that will not only kill the distinctness of those regions, but it will also take away from the distinctness of Yaletown itself.

I hope this makes sense.