View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 4:59 AM
Fourth and Main

Streetcar Maintenance Yard & Stop at Union Station:

Source: HDR

The current bus station on Fifth Street is severely over-crowded, so the city would like to divide some of that between the Campbell Center and Union Station. Both stations will offer streetcar and bus service. Union Station is about the same distance from downtown Winston-Salem as Cincinnati's Union Terminal is from their downtown. Michigan Central Station and Buffalo Central Terminal are also far from their downtowns. I'm guessing a well-known planner of the day must have popularized train stations outside downtown? Some residents did ask for a new rail transfer station in the actual downtown area, but the city insists on restoring the old station. No complaints from me!

The expressways not only disconnected it, but also demolished the rowhouses leading to it and destroyed the beautiful entry roads. The rapidly growing IQ District will expand downtown to east and eventually come very close to Union Station. A 12-13 storey building is currently proposed across the cloverleaf from Union Station. The streetcar will also connect it to downtown. Winston-Salem is very serious about Amtrack and it should be interesting to see if the city gains Amtrack service after restoring this building.

If Union Station was located downtown, I'm guessing it would be The Lofts @ Union Station, a conference center, artist colony, or a tech company office building right now? There is also a chance it may not have survived, considering Southern Railway's huge International Rail Port, on downtown's east side, was completely demolished. I wish downtown's streamline moderne bus station was still standing. I would love to have that facility as the city's current bus station. The building had beautiful murals too.

Demolished Winston-Salem Union Bus Terminal Murals:

Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

Salem College Student Center:
I found this in American School & University Magazine, where they had a nice article on the new Student Center.

Video Link

Targacept Pharmaceutical Company:
Targacept is launching a new clinical trail for a drug to treat a digestive disorder. It would be nice to see to see great results and maybe another job producing partnership, similar to what they had with AstraZeneca, from this compound.

United Furniture:
They have selected the Weeks facility for a $5 million renovation and 200+ new jobs! The historic building, on the north side of Winston-Salem, was once the largest in the state in floor area. They should finish work by Fourth Quarter 2014 and begin hiring at that time. Another historic building restored!

More New Jobs:
Three new job announcements are about to be made, bringing nearly $12 million in investment and an undisclosed number of jobs.

HanesBrands Grows Again:
HanesBrands Inc., has purchased DBApparel of France in a $550 million deal that should bring another $875 million in yearly revenue to the Winston-Salem based company. HanesBrands Inc., is Winston-Salem's third largest headquarters. Their two recent acquisitions should bring their revenue totals to somewhere between $5.5 billion to $6 billion in revenue. I'm guessing that would rank around 400-450 on the Fortune 500 list? I guess we will see when the mergers are completed? These acquisitions usually bring new jobs to the headquarters complex. Good news for developments around Oak Summit.

Rails-to-Trails:
According to a forum member at WSTB, the burned-out skywalk is gone; workers are removing unused rail spurs that won't be a part of the light rail line; workers have removed structures from the back side of buildings along the path; and a crane is on site.

Big Announcement by PMC Property Group:
We should have more details by Friday on PMC Property Group's plans. What we do know: They will build about 130 apartments for their half of the project, but no cost estimates or real details.