View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
De nada. Honestly, I hadn't focused on that part of the presentation until I read that article, but with that thought in mind--yeah, it is pretty uncontroversial that should be improved.

As an aside, I also somewhat understand the general objection about parking next to transit stations, but when you see the pictures and really think about the layout there, to me it actually makes a lot of sense to put a whopping big parking structure on that side, and then maybe you can do less parking on the other side even if it takes off. And around there, obviously the other side is so much more suitable for doing something that could be really cool (not least because of the Port Authority garage on the Bakery Square side).

It is unfortunate the zone between Bakery Square and the Busway seems destined to be dead, but if that is case anyway, put the parking there rather than anywhere else, right?
I still anticipate that we're very close to "peak parking" and once self-driving cars are perfected, parking garage utilization will start to fall.

That said, I'm a lot less opposed to these sort of stand-alone parking garages - particularly when tucked away like this - than parking garages which are integrated into mixed-use buildings (for example, the new 350 Oliver building). If parking demand ever drops, they can knock down the Bakery Square garages and replace them with something else. It's not as easy to knock down a garage directly underneath an occupied building.