View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 1:49 PM

Salt Lake City Resorts - Development Updates

Canyons Ski Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I was a Rocky hater. Whereas, I really like Becker. I could see voting for him ... if I lived in Salt Lake City.

He reminds me of Gov. Huntsman --- a guy who does a good job keeping everyone happy and not letting the voters polarize into bickering factions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Agreed 215, Salt Lake City is in great hands for this coming decade.

Speaking of great leadership, it looks like uber-developer Talisker has every intention of taking the Park City Area in general and the Canyons Resort specifically to the top of the heap in the ski industry. This new hire is a huge coup for the future of the metro's resort development.

Talisker hires private golf and ski club expert

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_3555691?source=most_viewed

...Thompson has lived in Colorado his entire life, he says, and has headed Vail Resorts Development, the company's real estate arm, for 17 years. During that time, Thompson oversaw Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone ski resorts, and helped redevelop Jackson Hole Golf and Tennis Club in Jackson Hole, Wyo., as well as the company's employee housing program...

...Already Thompson feels comfortable in Park City it reminds him of Vail five years ago, he says, though he believes real estate is going to "boom here even more."

While Vail fights Interstate 70, which runs right through its town, he finds Park City feels more like a town.

"Park City's got locals, and tourists and schools and it's got Main Street," he observes. "A lot of people in Vail never go to Vail. They go skiing on Vail's mountain, but they don't go into town much."

Thompson agrees with Talisker's environmentally-sensitive philosophy...

...When it comes to developing property, Thompson's vision is of a unique and architecturally-controlled community. He worries about the "homogenization of America" the look-a-like Main Streets that can, in some cases, also produce look-a-like neighborhoods. At times, towns can look so much alike that, Thompson observes, "you can sometimes go to one ski resort to the next and you don't know one from the other."

It is therefore important that resorts try to keep their personality despite the rush and convenience of other facilities made available, he concludes...