View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
It's known that widening highways doesn't actually reduce congestion because of the induced demand principle.

The United States finally have a chance to catch up to the rest of the world in terms of rail infrastructure and they're seizing it. I think that's great.
Wrong. Induced demand does not exist. You have someone that needs to get to point a to point b. There is no new trip resulting because of a widened freeway. There is however growth and that's a good thing. If new growth is encouraged, than I can see your point. However that also happens with rail construction too and I don't see anyone screaming induced demand when that occurs or frequencies are increased.

Furthermore, these studies that lay claim to the induced demand argument never factor in whether other freeways that commuters might have used saw a drop in usage. 405 widening resulted a 20+ percent drop in local road traffic and the rush hour window was in fact shortened. I also vouch that they didn't add enough lanes because it only saw the trip time through the expanded corridor drop a minute, but it did drop. If they added 10 more lanes, it would drop considerably more so. Add 4 more HOV lanes each way and 3 new tolled lanes along the entire 405. Traffic would no longer be an issue there.

Expand other freeways, fix certain gaps with solutions that work for everyone, and improve commuter transit with park and ride stations.

If you have an issue with that than your issue is with sprawl and not the freeways themselves. I am a supporter of sprawl.