View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:09 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Wrong. Induced demand does not exist. You have someone that needs to get to point a to point b. There is no new trip resulting because of a widened freeway. There is however growth and that's a good thing. If new growth is encouraged, than I can see your point. However that also happens with rail construction too and I don't see anyone screaming induced demand when that occurs or frequencies are increased.

Furthermore, these studies that lay claim to the induced demand argument never factor in whether other freeways that commuters might have used saw a drop in usage. 405 widening resulted a 20+ percent drop in local road traffic and the rush hour window was in fact shortened. I also vouch that they didn't add enough lanes because it only saw the trip time through the expanded corridor drop a minute, but it did drop. If they added 10 more lanes, it would drop considerably more so. Add 4 more HOV lanes each way and 3 new tolled lanes along the entire 405. Traffic would no longer be an issue there.

Expand other freeways, fix certain gaps with solutions that work for everyone, and improve commuter transit with park and ride stations.

If you have an issue with that than your issue is with sprawl and not the freeways themselves. I am a supporter of sprawl.
And that is exactly the problem with many Americans. Firmly implanted, good old 1960's mentalities in 2017. I bet global warming doesn't exist either. Sprawl is good because it destroys natural habitats. How dare these plants grow near my city?