View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 12:46 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I think the bigger issue isn't the reduction itself but that it was being implemented the day before nominations closed. People have already committed themselves to run and probably raised money for the campaign. Now, some candidates will be scrambling. This creates chaos for the 2018 municipal election which is never a good thing. This all comes across as political retribution. If it was not, then this could have been implemented for the 2022 municipal election.
This is the biggest problem, really. There is no example that I can think of (and no one has brought up) where the government has changed the municipal election law during an election process, to implement those changes during the process. They always went into effect as of the next election. The municipal election process started before the provincial election was finished, so he didn't have a chance to do that for this election, and the next municipal election is after the next provincial election, so if he doesn't implement this now, he has no allies in Toronto—his power base—in 2022.

With few exceptions, we're not hearing much praise for Doug Ford here in Thunder Bay. Even people who generally support Conservatives seem pretty sketched out by what he's been doing so far.