View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:25 AM

Wentworth,

I understand what you are saying and your points are very valid. In most cases many people would default to similar finishes and materials.

Perhaps architectural controls could set a minimum standard in a community, but if they allowed people to go above that minimum standard I don't see where the issue would be.

So as an example let's say a family in Cranston wants to remain in their current community and wishes to convert their single family neo-traditional home into a more contemporary home. Why would this be an issue? Would the guidelines allow this? As mentioned above if there was a minimum standard to materials that had to be used and the family maintained setback and height requirements why should they not be allowed to do so? I think if the guidelines could allow for a little more variation while maintaining a minimum level of requirements it could possibly create a more dynamic character to an often repetitive situation.

I'm posing this question in place of just saying the suburbs suck and they are what they are. I think by questioning and challenging things we can create opportunity for positive changes and perhaps making static situation more dynamic.