Thread: Gage Park
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:41 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Sinclair View Post
You people are nuts.

From admittedly anecdotal evidence, I have been subjected to more nusiance behaviour and vandalism in my old neighbourhood just east of Gage Park than in the many years I lived in dodgy neigbourhoods in Toronto. The only comparison I can make is Cabbagetown, where minor property crime was a big problem.

Even in my new neighbourhood south of the HAAA, I experience what I consider to be a high level of nusiance crimes (broken car mirrors, cars broken into for change, broken bottles in the alley).

I have not lived everywhere, but in my experience nusiance crimes are higher in Hamilton than the other downtown districts I have lived in. I have no idea how to address it, but pretending I don't have this experience isn't going to make Hamilton any better.

As to the safety of Gage Park, when I lived beside it, I jogged every other night thru that park, most of the time after 10pm. I never had any problems, but I am 6'2 and north of 200lbs, so I probably am not a good example. I also saw at least one patrol car in the south lot every run.

But shit happens everywhere, and the poorer neighbourhoods in Hamilton have a lot more shit. To deny that people feel unsafe in Gage park, or to intimate that those that do are scared for no good reason, or worse, working a political agenda, is not particularly progressive, or helpful.

Oh, that entrance design is crap, in my opinion, but would be better than the mud and bushes that are there now.

this is interesting to hear of your experiences.
you live SOUTH of HAAA and still put up with those nuisance crimes eh?? I was under the impression that not much happened down there.
I've never seen or heard of anything of the sort in the 5+ years of living in Strathcona.
Although I did catch a young guy in my backyard once...nothing happened though. He was trying to steal something, but took off.