View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 10:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Thing is, I've got American friends. Seriously, I do. And while living overseas there have been times that I've avoided the Canadians at the pub and gone over and sat with the Americans.

I'm just talking about immediate socio-cultural affinities. They don't necessarily run that deep, and they don't mean that Canada and the U.S. are different planets the way that India and China, say, are.

You're pushing this New England and the Maritimes narrative too far. Someone from Boston is going to have a lot more in common with someone from New York than they will with someone from Halifax or St. John's at the socio-cultural affinity level. "Massholes" from Western Massachusetts are going to have virtually nothing in common with Newfoundland, but they will totally be in sync with the guys from New Jersey.

My guess is that people on the coast of Maine probably really do share a lot in common with coastal Maritimers, but you're extrapolating this too far.
I really don't think so.

It's not that I go to Boston and there's some kinship or friendship as there is Ireland, but there is a familiarity. Boston feels like it should be the largest city in whatever country St. John's is part of.

Toronto might as well be Cleveland for me. It's completely different. And whether people realize it or not... I've lived from here to Winnipeg. And the north-south seems much stronger. Most Winnipeggers know their way around Minneapolis. They couldn't even find St. John's on a map.