View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Exactly. I wonder how things would be around here if the Great Recession didn't occur. There was a period of growth before 2010 or so as well but many projects never came to fruition and it wasn't such a rapid revitalization.

No concrete details yet, but there was a soft announcement for a 20+ floor residential building near Comerica Park and it was announced a week ago or so that The Leland would be renovated. The Leland is 22 floors and is underused.
There was some growth just before the recession, but I’m not sure if Detroit would have gone into bankruptcy without the recession, and without the bankruptcy, I don’t think Detroit would be in the favourable position it is in now.
So, I feel that the recession actually helped Detroit get its shit together finally!

I’ve heard about the possible 20 floor highrise, I think it’s directly across Woodward from the Fox Theatre. It’s a great site for such a building.

Very happy to see the Leland getting a renovation also, it’s in such an awful state right now. I used to go clubbing there in the mid 80s when the City Club was big in the punk/new wave scene, so it makes me happy to see it getting some love!