View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:21 AM

I am bunk with technology; today I somehow managed to recover some photos that I thought were lost. Unfortunately, upon uploading them to my flickr account, the quality of some of them completely went to shit. I apologize in advance if the clarity of some of these shots is suspect. I blame society.

I have only lived in Winnipeg for a few years, but here's s'more pics from the central portions of my lil' burg. Word!

Here's some colour for y'all:

Just pretend the outcome is like this because it's a zillion degrees out:

Yep. I don't get it. I could have gotten a sharper image using fuckin' pencil crayons:

Even the alleged virgin is blurry:

Winnipeg was first settled by the Romans around 112 B.C.E., but little evidence of this remains today:

This is a nice shot in the clear version I have saved on my laptop:

Yikes:

I hereby promise to attempt to post decent copies of the better pics in this set:

Not to reveal too much, but.... If you absolutely HAVE to be caught masterbating in public to a beautiful building, make sure it's one of these ones:

Ye Olde History:

The splendid Paris Building:

No mimes, either, but that should go without saying given the Anti - Mime Accord of 1971:

'Round my 'hood. Word:

This statue is of an important historical figure that I never bothered to learn the name of:

Far out:

Dig it:

This is, in the words of Dr. Phil, "Even clearer than my condescending, elementary ridicule of others to bolster my own vanity." Yeah. It's a clear version, somehow:

If YOUR city doesn't have seas of downtown surface parking lots, you're missin' out!

Can you spot the former Pizza Hut that's now just a Hut?

The ass end of our library; there is currently a public square type deal being constructed here. You may recognize this angle from the [stellar] film The Lookout:

This fella belongs in Paris:

It's true. This is where the President of the United States of America likes to chill out when "in a city nobody's heard of:"

Winnipeg's famous SUMMER, which generally lasts from about July 8th to July 11th:

Colour:

Our fortified concrete bunker for when the Bolivians invade:

Part of the Red River College's downtown campus:

I'm an artist! And what I am trying to say in this piece is "windows:"

I imagine that's about as close as the stairway to heaven gets:

Our Exchange District:

Another cute one tucked away:

It's a real city, yo:

My Mandarin is rusty, but I think this says "Small blue sign with white borders and print:"

An eclectic fringe of the core:

A taste of the North End:

Thar she be:

Growth:

We do have fish here, but by the time it gets this far inland it usually tastes like seafood, so I avoid it:

This partial skyline shot has been brought to you in part by Hashish:

Yep:

Lookin' south-ish:

The Crossroads of Christ. Next time you see this sign, ask yourself "Would Jesus look both ways and check for flashing lights?"

Such a shame....

Across the River Red in the French quarter:

East central 'North End,' if that makes any sense:

Winnipeg has some of the most concentrated poverty in the nation:

And here we are:

Ah, the Red:

We do have our fair share of bridges:

In a city with pressing needs, a wall such as this falls on the list of priorities:

More grit:

People live here. In all of Canada, I suspect only Hamilton has areas of similar neglect:

Not a phone I would wish to use at two in the morning:

This is perhaps not an area often seen by visitors to the city:

More despair. I saw a couple hand-to-hand rock deals on this block while shooting:

Yep:

The odd refreshing view across the river during the ugliest time of year:

Respezentin Point Douglas:

Based on a true sighting:

Let's leave this 'hood for a bit:

Ours is bigger. It's true:

The Planetarium, where one goes to see Power Point presentations on a ceiling:

.... but then City Council voted in favour of tossing THIS in the mix, claiming it would fit in well with the modernist buildings at the doorstep of our turn of the century warehouse district. Fuck:

Haven't seen a nicer curve since I caressed your sister's thigh:

Main Street:

What's really funny, though, is a huge fucking screen placed at the least accessible, most pedestrian AND automobile daunting intersection in the entire city. This, by the way, is Portage and Main, an intersection apparently famous, but for reasons I have yet to determine:

This town reminds me of Edmonton at times:

This is pretty nifty:

Last night slowly comes back to me....

.... and so it was that I asked my girlfriend where her new job was. "Nowhere special," she replied:

Inner city amusements:

Maybe a couple more from the North End before we call it a night:

Still only ONE lemur in this thread:

Case in point:

Ye Olde North End. 'End d'North,' as they call it some places. Probably.

Never been inside myself. But if they were giving away acid, I'd be sold:

Watching. Always. Always watching me. Watching me sleep. Watching me dream. Waiting to catch me off guard:

My street:

Rad:

Exchange:

Never ask your grandmother where the extra money comes from:

Zap!

A river ran through it. And then froze:

This was the first place I bought in the city, but I had to sell it, as the grounds proved to require too much upkeep for one awesome male and seven open minded and flexible super model gals:

Yep again:

On Wellington Crescent, approaching Osborne Village:

The Village, one of our trendier areas:

"Not Selling Drugs:"

This building is the stuff of urban legends:

A study in bland:

Above the law, or in front of it?

Now skirts can vote:

This church is old. Older than VHS, yo:

Yep:

Almost done:

I will leave you with this lil' shot of the southern portion of the downtown core:

If you made it through all these shots, give yourself a pat on the back! I appreciate you meandering through my many photographs of dubious quality.

I will be back some day soon with better photographs, but until then, I'm off like a prom dress!

I'm gonna roll a blunt the size of Baltimore (metro, not municipal) and eat some cheese.

Peace.

Last edited by Lenin; Apr 17, 2011 at 7:18 AM.