Thread: Coudersport, PA
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

C. Renovo is definitely more remote/isolated than Coudersport... in terms of location, setting, feel, economy, etc. I stick by my statement that Renovo is the most remote town over 1,000 in Pennsylvania... though Galeton might give it a run for its money (location on US-6 and the fact that is is closer to both Coudersport and Wellsboro than Renovo is to the admittedly larger Lock Haven make it feel less remote. Reasons Coudy is less remote than Renovo:

4. Coudersport is located in a densely forested, rugged environment... Renovo, which is located in an even more dramatic setting along the West Branch Susquehanna. There are a few villages strung out along narrow river flatlands, but beyond that... there is nothing close to Renovo.

That was a absurdly detailed analysis of perceptions of remoteness, but I enjoyed being such a dork.
Awesome tour! I've only been to Coudersport once, but I remember that I was surprised by how nice it seemed (in comparison to many of the old towns in the valleys of north central PA). Glad to see it still looks good. I fully agree about Renovo's isolation. The West Branch's course north of I-80 and west of Lock Haven is just very rugged country.