View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 4:55 PM

MCHUGH: Opposition to Bedford waterfront work heats up
September 17, 2012 - 4:01am BY ED MCHUGH BUZZ FROM THE 'BURBS

Quote:
ONE OF THE subjects I teach is marketing and we explore perception versus reality. I offer the viewpoint that perception is reality.

Once consumers hold opinions about your product or organization, it is very difficult to change. I will add that the most powerful form of marketing is word of mouth, especially in today’s linked world.

There has been a perception held by many Bedford residents that the Waterfront Development Corp. Ltd. is not communicative or responsive to their needs. Accurate or not, I have heard that view expressed by many in recent years but the volume is increasing

Read More: Ed McHugh's column (www.thechronicleherald.ca)

Normally I don't post opinion pieces but Ed is right that the movement has been increasing it's efforts. The two extremes seem to be high-density urban style development versus no development with existing fill to become parkland. I seem to sit (as always) in between these extremes. I support protecting the reef but I don't think it should all be parkland. From the existing Waterfront Drive to Crosby "Island" should be developed with high-density uses focusing on public transit. From the high point on Crosby "Island" to the south should be left as is with only infilling where needed for the Bedford Basin Trail. I'd focus the highest density in Mill Cove Plaza provided it has good connections to the waterfront.