View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 1:44 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
By the way we are close to another MASSIVE nationwide skyscraper building boom based on my logic. The echo boomers, the new wealthiest generation are just entering their 30's now; They are going to be by far the wealthiest generation in American history due to smaller family sizes. This means all the wealth from the WWII generation comes down to the boomers and then from the boomers to their children, which comprise some gen Xers but more genYers aka millenials. My generation (im 31) is going to see a lot of money. It's like a reverse ponzi scheme. My grandparents all had like 4-8 brothers and sisters, that gets funneled down to their kids, the boomers which my mom has one sibling and my dad is an only child down to me & my one sister. And they all have done well. So you see how that works. Based on the 1980s skyscraper boom, I believe the time frame of 2012/2013 - 2022 or so will see massive construction.
That seems like sound logic, but I don't think we gen "y"ers are going to be as wealthy as you think. Many of us are struggling to find work. Half of us are unemployed, and it doesn't seem to matter if you have a college degree or not. I know of people who went to Ivy-League schools and are fortunate enough to find work as a janitor. I hold a masters degree in geography from West Chester (granted, not exactly a top-notch school, but it's still an education I will be paying for until my 40s), and I'm working as a caregiver for the elderly.