View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Says you, current community spaces have been a great benefit to these neighborhoods.

I don't see how this creates a "great legacy", the city can't and won't be kicking out Detroiters from their homes just to give it over to nature, these are people in case you forgot, not cattle. What you're suggesting is of little benefit to the city and makes no sense in the real world. There's no reason to destroy existing infrastructure just to create a greenbelt, the city already has plenty of parks.
Many of the world's great cities and open spaces were created in this way. Paris was almost entirely rebuilt in the early 19th century. Every grand boulevard in Europe required slum clearances at some point or another. Even the land that would become Central Park was home to squatters when it was designated as parkland.

I really think the difficulty of imposing eminent domain is one of the big things holding back American cities. Obviously no one would move without new housing, and they would be paid treble what their property is worth.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov