View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

MYSTERY BUILDING...

Though not as to location. While putting together my residential survey of Wilshire Boulevard, I came across a small apartment building at the nwc of Gramercy Place. There was never a single-family house on the corner, so I put the lot aside. It appears in images we've seen on NLA before, including the eastward view from Wilton Place below dated by the USCDL as 1923... also in a previously-seen 1929 aerial. The building is missing from another air view dated 1948; I've dug around in building records, as well as looking for it by both possible Gramercy and Wilshire addresses in newspaper archives but have turned up nothing.

Anyone interested in a hunt? Hoss?
No luck with a good picture yet, but I can narrow down your time window. I think the mystery building can just be seen in this 1930 view from the construction site of the Pellissier Building.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

The image below already appears on wilshireboulevardhouses.com. It's dated 1937, and shows that the mystery house has already been replaced.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

I've previously posted this 1936 image which gives a better view of the building that replaced the mystery house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The building can be seen on the left of this 1936 shot of Perino's. Morgan at 3951 Wilshire was a florist.

USC Digital Library