View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:58 PM
California goth

^This whole argument is just one major headache. NIMBYs, developers, the MTA and the city coucil all have valid arguments in the fight for development space, but the rhetoric is so hyperbolic and politically charged that these self-interested groups are putting the city in a gridlock--literally and figuratively. I understand NIMBY's worries over mega developments when those towers are going to be inhabited by folks who dont care about mass transit like the ones who already live in similar TODs in downtown and Pasadena. They are going to add more cars in a corner of the valley that is notoriously congested. But it's quotes like the person in the column who complained that the towers were going to block his sunshine and that anyone who disagrees could move to New York. I could, in turn, tell this asinine idiot to move to Phoenix if he wants his sunshine, but how does that move the discussion? Do you see what I mean? In a perfect world, these developers and NIMBYs would unite and DEMAND a real comprehensive mass transit system to satisfy all parties. Of course this won't happen. NIMBYs won't be happy until they've reverted the nations second largest metropolis back to field of ranches. And if they still complain despite having a real transit system, then we can tell them to pack their bags and go fuck off to Phoenix.