Thread: Economy Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 11:24 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am referring to the endless series of manufacturing layoffs and plant closures. Perhaps the Flint comparison was over the top.
That's happening everywhere, and it's nothing new. The manufacturing sector in North America has been in decline since the 1970's. Of course other factors influence this, such as a recession, but that's the general trend.

London's unemployment numbers/bad economy in the press are also heavily exaggerated. They cover London's metro area, which for some reason extends nearly all the way up to Grand Bend (the entire county of Middlesex is included... why???) and includes places like Saint Thomas which are mostly manufacturing based.

If you were to look at just the city of London, you'd notice that the unemployment numbers are much lower and our economy is fairing much better than you think.

Still, it's sad to see that Electro-Motive might be closing down. My uncle used to work there. When times were slumping in 08-09 he was reduced to a 4-day week and was eventually lied off. He worked there during GM Diesel division days so he did get a decent severance but he hasn't found a job since.

Interesting to see how one of GM's former assets is in decline while the other is jumping. General Dynamics can't seem to get those LAVs off the line fast enough!

My Simcity Stuff