View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 3:26 AM

I'm really torn about this application. I actually liked the twisted sisters proposal and was hopefully they would build it - I was sad to see they never have (at least not yet).

I'm looking at this proposal and it's interesting but I have concerns about the location and height. I know this sounds funny from someone who lives so close to (and really enjoys) the Bow tower here in Calgary (I've attached photos just to show you my view hehe).

I think it's great to get people talking about the whole viewplane/rampart height issue. But I don't know if it should be because of an application - I'm thinking it's more of a regional planning exercise. Granted, it won't be up for renewal for at least another 16 years which is a long way away.

For me - the view from this part of the citadell hill is one of my favs. I really enjoy sitting up there and watching the harbour with a coffee. I don't mind the maritime centre - but the whole point of the viewplane next to this site is to protect the view of George's island from the hill and I'm worried this might block it out - which is sad to me.

I think this may be a case of a good idea; wrong location. With all the talk of the Cogswell interchange coming down - there is the possibility that land would become available there. For me the compromise solution would be to exclude the cogswell lands from the rampart rule - thus there would be no height maximum. The area is already concealed by the apartment buildings and office towers from Scotia Square - so I don't see an issue with that.

But I just have a lot of concerns with this being where it is.

And now...the Bow
From my balcony during the stampede parade(the clutter is on my neighbour's balcony):

During a recent rain storm...