View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 5:13 AM
Fourth and Main

I apologize for not posting an update earlier this week. Lauren was at the hospital. Since I haven't posted an update in a long time, it's a long update! If you love the Plant 64 and Flywheel projects, it's a great update!

Rails to Trails - Bicycle - Light Rail - Walking Project:
This is the crane at the Rails-to-Trails site. This is an awesome project I'm really excited about. Imagine riding your bicycle on an elevated path with no stops! All of the roads are below the bike trail! This is really a three in one project, with a walking path and future light rail (LRT).

Source: Plant 64 Lofts

Plant 64 Lofts:
Prepare yourself for this: These units from the middle building just entered the market today or yesterday and they have nearly leased all available units! They could be fully leased by now? Within less than 24 hours, all of the corner units were leased! And now you see why apartment developers are fighting to enter downtown Winston-Salem! Remember Plant 64 is five buildings and three of those buildings are residential, so you still have two more chances to lease here! They haven't completed the other two residential buildings. Plant 64 uploaded an awesome update recently and I have to share it with you! There was also an update on WSTB I'll share part of for our viewers at SSP! If you're looking for an apartment, visit 545 Power Plant Circle in the IQ District or call 336-793-2282.

A nice view of Research Parkway and the Wells Fargo Linden Center in the IQ District!

Research Parkway will be completely demolished and rebuilt by the IQ District's development team, so be prepared for that. They will remove everything, from streetlights to landscaping to utility poles to sidewalks to the roadbed and replace all of it. They will also bury the power lines. I think they've already wired this street for gigabit internet? Your connection to SSP should be fast!

Does WSTA stop at Plant 64 / Linden Center, in the IQ District?

The Power Plant at Plant 64 Lofts is an amenities buildings. The power plant will be a 2 storey building with a leasing office, movie theater, coffee shop and fitness center. If you move-in now, you may have to wait another month on the amenities. Both the pool structure with fire pits and movie screen and the Power Plant are still under construction/renovation.

These buildings are still under construction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB

Flywheel:
This project is almost completed! This is an awesome downtown office. It looks more like a place to party than a place to work. They also took full advantage of the high ceilings in these old factories.

Credit: Flywheel Co-work

Beer anyone? Amazing place to work!

Basketball! I wish we had something like this at my office!

The pool table is here!

70-inch screen!

Seedhouse:
Seedhouse is a proposed arts & education center in downtown Winston-Salem. It will be a place to enjoy a different way of experiencing life. There will be coffee, food, visual art, dance, massage therapy, motivational speaking, an indoor skate park, a creative and artistic outdoor basketball court, creative writing, technology, a recording studio, music, theatre, and on-site job training. The spaces will require a membership to access. An architect was hired, but I'm not sure what building they are looking at or if they are building new? There aren't many old industrial buildings remaining downtown.

Bailey Park @ East End:
Another great update from rmhpmi at WSTB. You can see where the sloped lawn seating is for the amphitheatre, you can see the pipes for the restrooms/concessions building, and you can see pipes where some of the water features will be located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB
Liberty Street Renovations:
An historic building on liberty street, in downtown's arts district, is being completely gutted and renovated into a Reebok CrossFit Apparel store, with a large custom designed fitness center upstairs. They are gutting it to the reinforced concrete frame and walls and they are replacing all of the windows too! Please be an historically accurate renovation on the outside!

Big Winston Retail Development:
This was posted by forum member Big Winston Fan at WSTB: Black Mountain Chocolate's new headquarters and store will feature a Visible Chocolate Factory - with tours and classes, and a Chocolate Kitchen cafe, with confections, pastries, gelato and coffee and cocoa drinks. It will open after Labor Day.

Civic Plaza (Merschel Plaza) City Park:
Is the new city park, with an underground parking garage, under construction? This is part of a project that will not only bring hidden parking and a new city park to downtown, but it is also part of a plan to build a highrise fronting this park! The underground parking deck is designed to be the parking for a 210-255 unit residential highrise. I'll wait to move this to construction until we know 100% for sure it is under construction.

http://instagram.com/louisan2

New Jobs:
National General Insurance has completed their renovations and are ready to hire new employees in Winston-Salem. No word on how many new employees they will hire? They could double their current workforce, so this is exciting.

New Jobs:
CommunityOne Bank is hiring in Winston-Salem, as they make a serious push into Western North Carolina's tech center. They've hired one person so far and are looking for office space. If anyone from CommunityOne is reading this, look at the new building at Fourth & Broad.

Employment:
The Winston-Salem Metro Area added over 3,000 jobs last month.

Innovation Quarter:
The person in charge of development at Winston-Salem's Innovation District was a speaker at Bio International Convention. I would love to see a video of what he said. The IQ District is now in talks a few possible tenants, since that convention. Yes, more jobs and more tech office space construction! The IQ District also appeared in an industry publication, speaking of the Innovation Quarter being a national leader.

Smith Reynolds Airport:
Smith Reynolds Airport is making improvements to its longest runway for bigger and heavier aircraft. Thompson-Arthur won the multi-million contract.

Robotics Competition:
Among the unusual events in downtown Winston-Salem was a robotics competition, sponsored by 3M, for local tech companies. It was held in the IQ District and won this year by Team Inmar. Keep Winston-Salem Nerdy!

Team Small Footprint (software company) in Robotics Competition:

Credit: WFIQ

Flour Box Bakery:
I don't post all of the stores and restaurants that open. Only places I think you may find interesting as a resident of downtown, downtown worker, or a fan of the city. This is a bakery, located Near Hilltop House, Tar Branch Towers, and other residential developments. They are at 300 South Marshall in the Brookstown Neighborhood. Walk or ride your bike there and tell us what you think? Milla Ranieri, the owner, is a former biologist who is starting a second career, following her passion for baking. Breads include sourdough, baguettes, rye, raisin-walnut, and olive oil and sea salt. Pastries include croissants, scones, Danishes, and muffins. The bakery also offers cakes, cupcakes, and granola. For lunch, they have quiche, tomato sandwiches and grilled cheese available. The bakery also has a full range of coffees and teas.

A restaurant called Savor also opened just recently in that same area. They have live jazz nights. If you live in that neighborhood, you may want to visit this business as well.

Twin City Stage:
The American Association of Community Theatre announced Twin City Stage was selected to participate in AACT New Play Fest 2016 as a Producing Theatre.

Bob McCreary Indoor Football Center:
This project will begin construction next month! It's a $21 million indoor practice facility and will open in 2015. Players can train year-round regardless of the weather and the facility will feature a 120-yard artificial turf field with roll-up doors that will open onto football practice fields.

Bailey Power Plant:
A great photograph of the construction office at Bailey Power Plant.

Source

New City Skate Park:
City leaders are talking about constructing a $500,000 skate park near downtown. The new pop-up skate park that opened last weekend had long lines of skaters an hour or two before it opened. Other skating facilities in the area are all very popular. City leaders are using the pop-up skate park to help decide what type of facility to build.

Fifth Street World Cup Party:
People are still talking about the massive World Cup Party that closed Fifth Street. I've seen it described as better than Super Bowl parties. I've seen a few photographs of the closed street, packed with people. Winston-Salem loves soccer, tennis, and sport cycling. I think this is a good time for Callahan to move forward with the MLS stadium proposal. I prefer a site north of MLK, near Ziggys.

First City to Celebrate July 4th!
Winston-Salem was the first city to celebrate July 4th in 1783! Other cities may claim to be first, but Winston-Salem's is verified as the first July 4th celebration on record! Winston-Salem will celebrate this weekend with a revolutionary war reenactment, music, games, food, and of course the naturalization ceremony. Last year, people from 28 different countries became United States citizens at Winston-Salem's historic Salem Square. July 4th weekend is actually a great time to visit Winston-Salem! You can also enjoy First Friday on Trade Street and a massive music festival this weekend, with around 100 bands. The reasons to move to one of these residential developments downtown are endless.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...0218.image.jpg
Credit: Walt Unks - JournalNow
Winston-Salem's Naturalization Ceremony: The three people on the front row are originally from Peru, Guinea, and the United Kingdom.

There is actually a plaque in Salem Square:

Credit: Lisa Keeleyo

The Naturalization Ceremony and Revolutionary War Reenactment is in Old Salem National Landmark District, which appears in many TV shows, commercials, and movies set in colonial times. This is a fun commercial, filmed in Winston-Salem's Old Salem National Landmark District last year.

Video Link

Have a happy and safe July 4th! If you visit Winston-Salem, take some construction update photographs for us!

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:32 AM.