View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 11:53 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
This isn't a horrible thing, but there is currently a sense that, at least in this regard, four 5-storey buildings are preferable to one 40-storey building with the same number of units, especially if it is surrounded by a lot of open space or 1-2-storey buildings. This of course would be just one consideration among many, and many of the others would ultimately be more important. There are also efficiency/convenience concerns related to elevators, provision of water, emergency evacuations, and 911-type situations. Assuming that there would be underground parking, a smaller footprint usually requires a deeper parkade, which has financial and timeline implications.

Good points.

As much as I like the appearance of a 30+ storey apartment building, I wouldn't want to live that high. If I were ever to live in an apartment again, I would choose to live on the 2nd to 4th floor; but my preference would be the 2nd which is more secure than a 1st floor from break and entry but a quicker walk down the stairs to the outdoors than anything higher.