View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kitty Kat View Post
CBD

My mother lived in Los Angeles in 1933 and she was 13 years old. She lived at 342 East 59 Place; do you know the address where your mother lived? (I know this is a personal question, so if you don't want to tell me, it's fine)

My grandfather was so nervous that he piled everyone in the car and drove to Brea (Orange County) driving the whole way down on Imperial Highway!
LA Kitty:

My mother lived in the Hollywood area near Sunset and Highland. Her mother was terminally sick with cancer at that time. She was a nurse herself and used to sterilize the needles over the stove flame to give herself morphine injections for pain. She passed away that same year. Her father sent my mom to live with the nuns and other orphan children at the Blessed Sacrament church home on Sunset. Its still there. Remember this was deep into the Great Depression era and there was little money. Her father could not afford the Catholic orphan home so he sent her to shirt-tail relatives in Kansas for high school. Those were hard times.

Kitty...your poor grandfather. Yes, quakes can be nerve wracking_I can understand.

Yes, ER, the whole Los Angeles County area was affected badly by the Long Beach Quake.

The Tehachapi Quake 7.3 Scale of July '52 caused part of our concrete backyard wall to collapse...San Gabriel house. My parents never talked about anything in the news. As a child, my life was totally protected from the
outside world.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 15, 2019 at 2:10 AM.