View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
I'll see you downtown Ozone!
We can agree to disagree..Yes Ozone, I have lived in Queens, SF, LA and here. Whooptie doo... That does not make your opinion valid that it is a real city, nor does it make my opinion valid that midtown is kind of boring, and downtown is empty at night. As far as art walks, I can drive to 2nd saturday in 10 minutes, park and walk.. then drive home. Not missing a single thing. The phonies are the ones who continue to praise how great midtown is, and then wonder why no one really wants to spend a ton of money on a 2 bedroom tiny condo. "Live The Grid", give me a break. The only reason midtown is at all happening at night is because people like me (us damn suburbanites) drive to places like Streets of London, or The Park, or 58 degrees, in our cars, and hang out and spend our money. Without us, NONE of those places would even exist because there would be no customers. All this BS about Suburbanites and Urbanites is phony as well. We are all just people who decided what to buy and where to live...All my friends who live in MT, like I once did, sure love to come to my place on a Saturday and use MY pool when it's 100 degrees or more here...maybe I shouldn't let them, stupid Urbanites, I can't believe they even know how to swim.
I completely agree with you on this, econgrad. "Live the grid" is comical, especially affordability wise. I wanted to buy a place too and was not going to spend the ridiculous kind of coin they wanted for smallish midtown condos or lofts. I wanted a new modern place at reasonable prices. To each their own. Some want an older, victorian house or bungalow. Sorry not me. I bought in Natomas 'cos it's close enough to MT/DT where, granted, most of the entertainment and nightlife is. No different than, say, going to the Gaslamp quarter in downtown San Diego or Pioneer Square area in downtown Portland. While I also sometimes go to the restaurants, Natomas has enough restaurants and retail, thank you.

People that drive into MT certainly adds to the vibrancy. It certainly is less vibrant in the weekend daytime IMO, especially DT. Also, all this talk about less parking in MT may be desired by some residents but is really nonsense until there is a truly adequate and convenient transportation network in Sacramento (like in Portland or SF). Try getting from Natomas to Midtown without driving. Good luck. Less parking in midtown means the "surburbanites" that drive into and patronize MT/DT businesses will just go elsewhere. I'll gladly take light rail into MT/DT if it was available (like I've done to say Folsom). Midtown business certainly do not share this desire to reduce parking. Unlike SF, Midtown business still need "surburbanites" to help their business because the density just isn't there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
BrianSac and econgrad....MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE if you don't like it here!!!!!! Stay in the suburbs and stay out of skyscraperpage. You are infesting us with your suburban filth! Seriously, I cannot believe I am seeing this from people on here when the case is made so well for urban living. Sacramento is not the best example of urban living. But, please don't come here and bag on Sacramento as many people here love this city passionately (including myself!). WTF are you doing here if you don't even like Sacramento as it is!? My advice....shutup about how sucky you think Sacramento is or look around at the gem of a city we have and start making a positive contribution to this forum!
A little harsh, I would say. You can like and criticize a place at the same time (e.g SF and it's traffic, homelessness, cost, etc). Folks here may like a lot about Sac but still criticize the mayor, city council, traffic, certain developments etc. There is lots more to like about Sacramento than just Midtown. Recognize that. If every Sac suburbanite decided to move to Midtown, then it would take a nano-second before the complaints about any and everything starts to spill out.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy midtown but midtown alone does not Sacramento make.

Last edited by otnemarcaS; Sep 30, 2007 at 11:04 PM.