View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 7:40 PM

Thanks for chiming in guys... "the squeaky wheel" theory... when I need a little lovin' after spending (wasting?) 3 hours on one friggin' building (Aura) as I did this past weekend for the "ultimate" rendering I alluded too... I stop and recite the mantra "do this for yourself and don't do it for the applause"... but I am clearly a needy, shameless attention-whore who needs the affirmation of others to continue the work... translation: the applause mitigates the ridiculous amount of time I spend doing these things instead of doing something useful with my career or life

Quote:
Why does 335 King West look shorter than 300 Front Street when it's supposed to be 20 metres taller?

Also, from that particular angle, shouldn't the RBC Centre appear almost directly behind Simcoe Place rather than next to it?
^No. I work from recent photographs so most rendered buildings are 90+% accurate in height and location according to the chosen POV. The pano assumes a head turning in both directions... since no-one's periphal visions could capture this in one glance. BTW, there's a reason no-one from Toronto has issues with "perceived heights" because... they know this a render of what the eye might see from this POV, not a flat collection of drawings on the same plane (such as the diagram page).

And we all know a building 1000 feet tall that sits blocks north of a 700 foot building, when viewed from grade/lake/human POVs... looks shorter than it is. Skylines aren't flat to scale... they have depth, and the perceived height of a building in a skyline is contingent on it's location/distance away from the naked eye.

You must know this "naked eye" concept... perhaps you don't know this POV of Toronto though. That's in fact why I did this render... because ICE (located just north of the Gardiner Expressway) looks so damn tall relative to the much taller FCP which is located 5 blocks north.

To answer your specific query... 335 King is north of 300 Front Street West... voila... looks shorter than if they were side by side.

P.S. on the eastern skyline issue.... the pano is ridiculously wide so it had to stop somewhere, so it stopped at Jarvis. In the future, the east of Jarvis waterfront will indeed be born though not as dramatic as west of downtown. The East Bayfront project (Jarvis all the way to Parliament) will have tallish "medium rise" built form with very tall clusters at key intersections Jarvis, Sherbourne and Parliament. Near Parliament, the 30 storey Pure Spirit will be joined by two taller towers called Clear Spirit (about to begin construction). Also... as Cal pointed out, the highrises of the $1 Billion Regent Park revitalization will duck into the waterfront east skyline despite being well north (not much in the way so you'll see 'em).