View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 7:06 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I think the continued expansion of the riverwalk in earnest to the north and south branches from Cermak to Montrose would be well worth the investment and should take top priority. I don't mean a mimic of the main branch but a more naturalized state fronted by small retail/food services and residential with complete pedestrian access. Obviously that would involve a slow displacement of the big box stores and heavy manufacturing/industry (save maybe Goose Island) fronting the river now. The tour boats that meander down the main branch should be compelled to move well beyond Chicago and Roosevelt.

I think more then ever many "Millenials" are looking for unique dynamic urban playground. The city does have a unique asset with its lake and river and its incumbent on the city to let the public have full unfiltered access to it. The city should look to Hamburg, Oslo, and Rotterdam to see how they are transforming their waterfronts for inspiration.

Cities are made distinct by its interaction with its natural features. Be it Amsterdam/Hamburg/Venice with their canals, San Fran/Istanbul/Rio with their hills. Hong Kong, Boston, Sydney for their harbors. With the river/lake the city has the chance to build an environment that truly stands out and can be made instantly identifiable to Americans and even many casual international observers.

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 26, 2016 at 3:29 PM.