View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest2k View Post
I'd say Japan is more prone to earthquakes than we are and they seem to make it work. A floating bridge is another option. We have the technology. It's just that BC Ferries will never let it happen. They've got a monopoly on all traffic going to and from the island.

And unless you're talking about a toll, I don't see why I'd have to pay $300 to travel there by car.
LOL, you're thinking about driving on it for free??? Don't bet on it, it will be tolled.

As for Japanese bridges, they only have one bridge/crossing that can be compared to the length of a Strait of Georgia crossing (up to ~26 kms). The Tokyo Bay crossing, which is about 4-kms of bridge and 10-kms of tunnel for a total of a 14-km length crossing pales in comparison to the Strait of Georgia.

The maximum depth at Tokyo Bay is 15-metres. At the Confederation Bridge, it's 35-metres and 65-metres for the Rion Antiron. At the Strait of Georgia, it's well over 300-metres.

And to compare us with Tokyo?....which has a huge population to support the cost of such a crossing as well as a huge demand for such a crossing with the population density they have?

Oh wait, you're against population density.