View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 10:02 PM

Those are the 2006 census numbers, Scaper. It just goes to show you how all of those old 4-story apartment blocks packed together along Cook Street have produced a reasonable amount of density. Just think, if they had been 8-story apartment blocks instead, the density there would be about 15,000 per square km! At some point I hope to do a similar map for Kelowna and also for certain areas of Vancouver.

I was born and raised in Victoria and lived there until I was almost 30 years old and I can't say I was ever aware of any rivalry between Victoria and Nanaimo. If I recall correctly, Nanaimo had a Costco before Victoria did. I remember people would talk about that a lot. I've never been in a Costco in my life even now, so I can't say it meant much to me. But obviously some people liked Nanaimo's suburban retail vibe enough to want to build it all over again in Langford.

It would be a very unusual rivalry, considering the difference in size of the two cities. Does Quebec City have a rivalry with Montreal?? Maybe so, I have no idea. Nanaimo and Victoria are just so different. Nanaimo has embraced the suburban model, with lots of low density sprawl. Victoria is really only getting on the suburban sprawl bandwagon in a serious way as we speak, and even then it's going to be a much denser sort of sprawl than we're seeing in Nanaimo. There are ~60-70 highrises in the city of Victoria right now, but the way people are talking in Langford & Colwood, there might be half that many highrises again in the suburbs before too long.

Here's a good angle on Nanaimo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alannavanisle/

Last edited by aastra; Oct 13, 2007 at 10:12 PM.