View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Wild how little PEI has more people than Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut put together. It has always seemed to me though that PEI should just be a part of New Brunswick or something... but I suppose you could make the same argument about any small state/province.
PEI always reminded me of Rhode Island or Delaware - a little state which really probably shouldn't be on its own, but for historical reasons, is.

The real storey here is how insanely quickly Ontario is growing. Ontario, with half the population of Texas, grew by roughly the same amount last year. So double the effective growth rate.

At the current rate, Ontario would pass New York State in about 8 years. Which is just nuts. I don't think that will actually happen.. but still.

It also continues to blow me away that the Maritimes are suddenly posting some of the highest growth rates in the country. New Brunswick and Nova Scotia were struggling to keep their populations from declining for decades, then suddenly, boom, population explosion. For the best to be honest, NB and Nova Scotia have a ton of overbuilt infrastructure that is easily able to absorb population growth.

Ontario is really buckling under the population growth right now. The highways are congested at insane levels, the transit network overloaded, etc.. all the while the Province can't seem to build the new infrastructure fast enough.