Thread: Prisons closing
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:51 AM

Major announcement yesterday

Basically:
In this forum over the last year and as people speculated on areas affected or should be affected by the budget (DND, health, prisons, jobs).
Some felt strongly that maybe too much was being spent in the CSC. An opinion of building new prisons was strongly opposed.
So, it may appear that their predictions were correct or their opinions shared by the government and acted upon. All departments were cut except the Coast Guard.
To close a facility that is 177 hrs old could be prudent as the best before date for a building that is 24/7 is maybe 30 yrs. And as updates or are added it is like putting a new V8 in a very old car and the expense is more than buying new. Building new would also be less disruptive. A home Reno in a occupied building of criminals would be a security nightmare or recipe for disaster.
KP and the others did not have that many occupants and with new design you can go up not out. They have a Lego type construction method that is very quick and you use a crane to add bigger contained cells.
I know one jail that is right downtown and looks like a 8 story office building.
So as my original hook was vague, I assumed that seeing that since 1 p.m. Yesterday this has dominated the news, took up all of Power and Politics yesterday and is the lead story in most print and other media venues.
This is a necessary evil and should be more proactive focused as the reactive is less successful and more expensive.