View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2004, 1:04 AM
Me?!?

Well once again I couldn't get to the forum for a few days. Sorry guys...

Quote:
i leave saturday, but for the next couple weeks i think i'll just be working days here in harrisburg. i'll have evenings off. so maybe we can still get together in the evening sometime.
So you will be around for a few more weeks? I am on "vacation" all next week. I will be in and out of town the whole week, but maybe we will be able to get together sometime? I should be able to get to the forum more regularly over the next few days. Chris, I will PM you my # after I am done with this post. harrisburger, keep us updated. We WILL organize the first HBG forumer meet dammit!!!

Check out this crap.

Officials have screaming match

Friday, October 08, 2004
BY THEODORE DECKER
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg City Councilman Otto Banks challenged Council President Richard House to a fight during a war of words inside city hall yesterday, after House had police issue Banks a parking ticket, authorities say.

Multiple witnesses told police Banks screamed a string of threatening obscenities at House inside the city clerk's office around 11 a.m., after House discovered Banks' car parked in a space reserved for the city council president, police said.

Police confirmed that they cited Banks with harassment following the conflict. House was not charged.

"I'll beat your ... ass!" witnesses said Banks hollered, according to a police report. "Let's go outside and settle this, [expletive]!"

Interviewed yesterday afternoon, Banks did not dispute that an argument took place but downplayed its significance.

He denied using some of the stronger language cited by witnesses, including the claim that he called House a "homo."

"Oh, God, no," Banks said. "I wouldn't use that terminology regarding President House."

The dispute, which police said was never physical, ended when City Clerk Vicki Williams got between the men.

"At this time, I think it's inappropriate to make any comments," House said. "I do not want this incident to even remotely appear that it's political."

After receiving House's complaint, police interviewed three employees of the clerk's office, who largely confirmed his version of events.

Police said House arrived at city hall to find that Banks was parked in the council president's spot.

Banks, who does not have his own space, said it is common practice for city leaders with business downtown to park in an open space and let the clerk's office know. He said he did that yesterday.

Police said House sought out a parking enforcement officer to ticket Banks' car.

When Banks discovered the ticket, he tracked House down in the clerk's office and asked if House had "caused him to receive a parking ticket," police reported.

"Damn right I did!" House replied, one witness reported.

The two began yelling at each other. House told police that he did not back down but "would not be goaded into a fistfight," a police report said.

Williams told police Banks accused House of being petty and said to him: "I'll kick your ass. This has been brewing for a long time, bitch."

Williams did not return a call seeking comment.

Banks said the incident was "ridiculous" and had been blown out of proportion. "Harassing President House?" he asked. "Need I say more?

"It's something that should have never even reached the newspaper," he said. "President House and I just had a verbal disagreement. I'm sure we'll come to some sort of amicable solution. We really just need to sit down and work out our differences.

"I always take the high road," Banks said. "It was evidenced by the fact that I walked away. I'm sure that my car left the parking area before his."

Banks asked to prepare a statement, which was released later in the evening:

"Regardless of the provocation, I am deeply sorry the situation occurred," it read. "I regret any misinterpretation of statements I may have made in the heat of the moment. I intended no harm. Most of all I regret the incident, because situations like this make it difficult for the public to have faith and confidence in their elected officials."

"I'm really concerned about the community and the public," he had said earlier. "The last thing that people need to see is their elected officials bicker."