View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 11:50 PM
waves

I looked at the question of how to get a skytrain under the Burrard inlet previously here
and here using a bathymetric map.

The problem with a Lonsdale to Waterfront option is that the depth is deepest there (70m). Secondly going straight up lonsdale is not going to work anyways as the hill from the Quay to 13th is too steep.

I re-looked at my previous analysis and did some more refining in terms of route alignment. I think there are three feasible options:
  • Option A: Lonsdale Quay to Broadway via Commercial Dr. (5.5km total/2.2km Bored underwater/1.2km Bored underland/2.1km Cut&Cover/5 stations)
  • Option B: Stadium-Chinatown Station to Park Royal via Stanley Park (6.2km total/0.5km Bored underwater/3.6km Bored underland/1.3km Cut&Cover/6 stations/0.8km widened Dunsmir Tunnel)
  • Option C: Capilano University to Metrotown via Willingdon Ave. (10.5km total/0.9km Bridge/4.4km Above Grade/5.2km Cut&Cover/8 stations)

Option A seems the most preferable to me because the highest density in North Van is there it would make Commercial-Broadway even more of a transit epi-center than it already is. It would be great for those looking to connect North Van with Broadway, UBC, Burnaby, Tri-Cities, Surrey and Langley (hopefully). Likely would have the highest ridership of the three options. Some cons are it wouldn't replace the Seabus unless the Expo line was extended from Waterfront along Hastings. It likely also wouldn't be better for those going to YVR or Richmond than the Seabus.

Option B is interesting because it doubles the Dunsmir Tunnel and provides a quick connection East-West across downtown (Chinatown to Denman to Stanley Park). It would eliminate the need for buses to travel across the lions gate bridge completely (except for the 258). Park Royal would have to figure out how Park and Ride would work - maybe Translink can buy the lesser used North-East Parkade. Cons are this would never replace the Seabus unlike A which could eventually. The reason I have an extension up to Cap and Hwy 1 is because it would the 257 could then be changed to connect Horseshoe Bay to Phibbs Exchange as a B-Line. It would also be a good place for a park and ride (which would be highly popular). This option has the shortest underwater section of 450m and since the narrows is quite shallow wouldn't have to be super deep supposing that rock and not sand is found to far down...

Option C would really elevate Capilano University and Maplewood Town Center as it would connect with Brentwood, Metrotown and BCIT. This would fit with the DNV's OCP for growth in the area. This line has the interesting opportunity to connect further south with the new River district, Richmond and YVR. It might alleviate some of the traffic on the second narrows bridge. Would be good for SFU students as it would provide easy connection to the 95 B-Line. Cons of this option are it, again, doesn't replace the Seabus, it is a long route, and Burnaby already has 2 skytrain lines. Of the options I would expect this option to see the least ridership across Burrard Inlet, but I really have no idea what to expect for this one.

Stars are terminus stations/Diamonds are transitions between C&C, bored, Above Grade, At Grade, ect./Circles are stations

Google Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Fh...Fo&usp=sharing