View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Oh these things always take longer and cost more than we expect them to.

Some kind of regional service will need to exist if we don't want the roads to be clogged with SOV's 12+ hours a day. One of the problems is who runs it - TransLink (Metro Van) or BC Transit (the rest of BC). For the most part I vote for BC Transit. Then you've got to figure out payment (Compass is TransLink only). I see an inevitable pissing match about who does what and who pays what percent for this service to exist.

The WCE will need it's own tracks if we ever want to see bidirectional service. Freight has first dibs on the existing tracks and already causes delays to the limited WCE service we have. That's something we should seriously be looking into.
I think it should be a consortium between TransLink and BC Transit, most importantly to figure out the payment and zoning, as well as transfers and schedule synchronization. The payment system should be compatible with Compass, and TransLinks services should be compatible with their payment system too, so users outside TransLink/Compass jurisdiction don't have to carry two cards and those inside TransLink/Compass jurisdiction can start using the regional system immediately and seamlessly