Thread: census 2011
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
I have to agree I've come to notice when riding the skytrain to Vancouver from surrey. I can always tell when I've hit the Vancouver area since there isn't much going on till you get close to downtown. Mean while if you look at Surrey each station has development going around it. Minus scott road but thats area has plans for future use.

Also another thing people may want to note for where the growth is happening is the type of work both cities have to offer While Vancouver holds a lot of white collar office work. Its taken out a lot of its blue collar work like mills and warehouses. Which Surrey has been more then happy to take in. But as Surrey matures its been building up it white collar office work area too now. But blue collar is where a lot of people coming over here start.

I do have to agree with you on the twin city thing. Which personally I like the idea of. Instead of fighting each other the two cities should work together to help each other out. Which currently isn't happening. I rarely hear things where Surrey and Vancouver work together. heck i rarely hear anything about both mayors talking to each other let alone agree.
I'd be willing to guess that you have never seen much development around stations like nanaimo and 29th ave. Simply because it is a lot harder for a developer to buy up land then people think. For on reason what if a few people don't want to sell. If a developer wanted to buy my property even for cold hard cash. Why should I sell?

I mean sure the government could just come in and kick everyone out.

So I do realize that Vancouver hasn't developed much around those stations. But I think it's a lot harder to densify an existing single family home area than most realize. Rebuilding a commercial or industrial area is easy because you have less land owners to deal with.