View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 11:50 PM

I'm not sure of the details, so can't really elaborate. But from what I understand, there is some form of equity tied up there. Not exactly sure how.

CWB currently has a few sites on the go at:

Bloom, Mb.
Colonsay, Sk.
Pasqua, Sk.
St. Adolphe, Mb. (actually on the west side of the river, more in the Glenlea area)

They also purchased two laker vessels, Grand sand Hills railway in Sask (which they are planning to upgrade some elevators there), A couple terminals, among other stuff. They plan on building more elevators, can't say where.

They're going to have a huge operation on the farmers and taxpayers dime.

All the other major (and minor) grain players are expanding and building new facilities. Many of them with oval (loop style but not quite) railway facilities. As oppose to the traditional parallel siding type track. The railways these days are requiring single train spots. So they won't do any switching to breakdown the train into smaller lengths. Hence the need for the oval track, which they can pull in, drop the train and leave rather quickly compared to breaking up the train.

All this is spurred by the break up of CWB. So it is good for the local economy in that sense. But from what I understand on the grain side, the quality being produced is much less than what the original CWB would traditionally accept. Lower quality equals higher yields. But also brings in less dollars per bushel. Not sure how the lower quality grain is being received around the world. This also leads to the issue for railways trying to ship all this grain.

But you're right AJ, tons of stuff going on around the prairies.