View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2011, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Hey folks,

Just want to point out that min crew per Gondolla station is 3, not 1. Additionally there would have to be an additional 2-3 people per line to handle shift breaks. This assumes all stations are loading and unloading passengers.

So for 5 station Gondolla line, 18-20 people are required at all times just to handle the basic operations and people movement. This does not include specialized ticket checkers and line up monitors. Nor does this include Maintenance personnel.

So lets say we are looking at 5 station line with 12 hour operating time. With these assumptions expect a minimum complement of 120-140 individuals.
You need to compare apples to apples. A single bus that runs from 5am till 2am requires more than one personal also. During regular operations, you'd likely require one or two attendants at each stop. You don't need new specialized ticket checkers IMHO. Additionally, the attendants would likely be 50%-70% the cost of a regular bus driver.

I do not believe this line will have five stations. I believe it will be one at each end, plus one at FMC and one at ACH. Additionally, I don't actually see why it would need to be a loop at all. I think a single bi-directional line (such as at ski hills) from one of the LRT stations to the two principal destinations would be sufficient.

For a three station line (two destination stops plus one LRT stop) I'd say you'd need in total six people max for regular operations, perhaps less. Those six people would cost the same as four regular drivers.

Regarding size of gondola / tram, I'd suggest a true gondola size, though a small tram would be alright if there were savings to be had. A smallish size (say 8 passenger) would allow for a shorter interval between rides and easier management at the stations (perhaps making it easier for fewer staff).