View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 8:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk then Run View Post
Interesting post by CBC around the HRM cooling off for population growth. Although, my following statement is not based on fact, but I can see the same trend for Moncton or any other CRM in the Maritimes which have been growing at crazy rates over the last several years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...lars-1.2865133
I think this is cyclical. The local economy goes up and down and so do the economies of different areas. They're not necessarily all in sync. The slow growth happens when the Maritimes are caught in the doldrums while areas like Alberta are booming. Alberta's economy won't be as strong this year and the projections I've seen have predicted greater economic growth for NS this year (2-3 percent instead of near-recession).

It was the opposite around 2008-2009, when most areas did poorly but NS did relatively well. Population growth in Halifax was more in the 5-6k a year range, but there weren't a lot of "good news" stories about it because the media was in economic crisis mode.

Realistically it makes sense to think of the long-term economic fortunes of the region as lying somewhere in between these two extremes. We tend to only get the bad news though.