View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:06 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2013 in ANGKOR WAT

Angkor Archaeological Park is a UNESCO World Heritage site stretching some 400 square kilometres near Siem Reap. It consists of remains from different capitals of the Khmer Empire, dating from the 9th to the 15th centuries. Today, the park is a major tourist site. After paying USD $40 for a 3-day pass, visitors have almost unrestricted access to the monuments. There were few barriers at the sites, even those in a ruinous state, so watch your step!

My 3.5 day visit begins with Beng Mealea, which is a bit out of the way from the main group, but worth a trip since it remains unrestored.

Ta Prohm was also originally left in its ruinous state on purpose to reflect what Angkor looked like when it was rediscovered in the 19th century. However, the site is now covered by modern equipment for restoration. Hard to imagine there was once a city wrapped around it but all that is left now are vegetation and emptiness.

Climbing up the East Mebon was great exercise but if you are afraid of heights, you might want to stay at ground level or not look back and down!

There are many ways to sightsee the various temples and buildings around Angkor Wat. Walking is definitely not an option as the distances are huge and dry season heat is quite intense. Some bike and use tuk-tuk, but have to cope with intense dust on the dirt roads. I chose a more comfortable A/C car with driver, costing only USD 25 a day, taking me in comfort between temples with a short cool-down break in between each attraction. Next stop : Pre Rup

More in the next part or you can visit my website at : http://www.globalphotos.org/angkorwat.htm