View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I'm not sure in those specific cases, but this may be referring to condo by-laws that prevent restaurants and certain commercial uses. Condo by-laws are passed by the condo corporation, which is composed of the condo residents. If the residents don't want a restaurant, which they often don't, they can pass a by-law restricting use.

I believe that was what happened in the condo on Bronson and Powell. The residents voted on allowing commercial use at street level and rejected it. I believe a gym went in instead, which leaves a blank wall on the main street. That is a real shame in the middle of a developing commercial strip. The City needs to insist on ground floor commercial on designated main streets.
The best way to avoid this is to insist on two condominiums within the building be formed, one of the commercial space and one of the residential space, then either the developer can keep the commercial condo and manage it themselves or sell it to a commercial investor/management company, etc.