View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:38 AM
Fourth and Main

I was too busy to post the past several days and I apologize for that. We did see some big news for Winston-Salem!

BioMed Realty Trust to Invest Another $130+ Million in Downtown:
Are you ready for the next wave of construction in downtown Winston-Salem? This company just completed an $88 million tech office building and is prepared to start on more fun projects this year!

Wake Forest University Downtown Medical School:
Wake Forest University is raising $20 million from alumni and friends and will combine that with another $27 million from the university and nearly $50 million in tax credits, to convert a massive former industrial building from the 1920s into a downtown medical school! They must raise this money by August of this year and expect to break ground on the downtown medical school in Fall of this year! Yes, I said this Fall! This is by far the biggest project we've seen in the IQ and could bring more students to the heart of downtown! This building is 41% larger than 525@Vine and think of all of those students and professors downtown! Yes, I'm expecting more apartments and also a major transformation of this area in entertainment, shopping, and restaurants. Remember the plan TwinCity posted earlier? The one that showed half of the cleared North District Phase II as apartments? Those buildings will also have storefronts and the street is already in place, with streetside parking for the storefronts. I'm not sure if many of the people I've talked to about this medical school realize the impact it will likely have?

Rendering for Wake Forest University Downtown Medical School:

Credit: WFIQ

Bailey Power Plant:
We are receiving more and more details on this massive retail/restaurant/entertainment project, which could begin construction very soon. It appears as if it's an $83 million project and is on an accelerated timetable? This building, along with the medical school's building, are the last of the factories waiting to be renovated in the IQ. After these two buildings are renovated, it's new construction.

Credit: American City Business Journals

Innovation Quarter:
There are 11 Innovation Districts. Winston-Salem has one of them (downtown's IQ District) and all 11 are expected to work on a massive collaboration that will bring even more development and name recognition to them. I don't know what the collaboration is, but would like to know. If you're from Boston, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Seattle, etc., and you've heard what this collaboration is, please share with us in this thread. We are guessing at WSTB and trying to find answers. It sounds like a big deal for all of our cities!

The Glade @ West End:
More and more big news and updates to share! The Camel City Dispatch shared an update on the conversion of this former YWCA into condos last week. So many beautiful architectural details. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: Camel City Dispatch

A Wine Cellar (perfect for North Carolina's Wine Country!)

Was the ceiling lowered?

Link Apartments:
A look at the interior of these really nice apartments! If you're interested in an apartment near the ballpark, this is the number to call: 1-877-844-0001

Source

Credit: Link Apartments Brookstown

The Edge Apartments:
Not many updates on this building. Since I don't reside in Winston-Salem and they don't share many construction updates, this project is largely absent from our thread. It's two 7-storey apartment towers, with parking under the building. The buildings are next to the East-West Expressway, on First Street.

The Leasing Center is now open:

Credit: The Edge Winston-Salem

Bailey Park @ East End:
From the roof of the Bailey Power Plant? The rough looking industrial building to the right is the future location of the Wake Forest University School of Medicine. As I posted earlier, it is expected to start renovation in a few months, along with Bailey Power Plant!

Credit: American City Business Journals

New Four Topps Headquarters and More Jobs:
Four Topps is growing fast and just entered the National Football League with their seating line. The Winston-Salem based company is currently looking for a new headquarters and logistics center in Winston-Salem.

Brenner Childrens Hospital:
U.S. News & World Report has ranked Brenner Children’s Hospital among the best children’s hospitals in the country! They just recently finished construction on one of the nation's few level-one pediatric trauma centers and a new emergency room. There are only 31 level-one pediatric trauma centers in the United States and Winston-Salem has the only level-one pediatric trauma center in North Carolina. Brenner Childrens Hospital is named for the CEO of Brenner Steel Company, the Winston-Salem based company that donated the money to start the childrens hospital.

Summer Music Series:
The popular live music series is back! Be sure to see it on your way to your favorite construction site.

Credit: DWSP

Casting Call:
Do you want to be an extra in a movie that is set in Winston-Salem? “The Longest Ride” will start filming very soon! According to the casting call, the film needs extras from ages 8-29. Go to www.makescenes.com and email your photo, contact information and availability to extrastlr@gmail.com. Pay rate for extras is $64 for up to 8 hours and time and a half after 8 hours. It's always fun to see some of the places we talk about in this thread on the big screen.

525@Vine: BUILT!
Adding nearly a quarter million square feet of tech space to downtown Winston-Salem, 525@Vine is now officially BUILT! It opened 87% leased, according to BioMed Realty Trust. Some of that space is storefronts. If you would like to open a restaurant, bar, or store in this building, contact Linville|Team! As always, when a building is built, we like to post a large number of photographs! No exception this time. This is yet another tech company building/tech space. These are always fun and interesting. Winston-Salem is experiencing a tech boom right now.

Interesting Facts About 525@Vine:
It was built in 1926 as an industrial building. It was LEED Platinum certified in January 2014. A total of 1,003 construction workers worked on this building's renovation! Whiting-Turner Construction completed the building for $88 million.

The elevators are awesome!

Flywheel is still under construction:

Plant 64 Lofts Update (look through the windows)? I see a crane over there!

This is a Classroom! (Look at the industrial view!) Awesome!