View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 3:03 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
The problem is getting those 2 80' lots at the same time. One owner wants to sell but the other doesn't. Then next time it goes the other way.
Takes patience, definitely. It would happen slowly, but over time, it would work out nicely, I'm sure.
Quote:
Thing is you could get kicked out of any apartment. Of course there are rules to protect you when you are renting. I'm not saying it is the perfect living situation. But if it allows someone who might be single or is just a couple to live in the city.
It's much more difficult to get kicked out of an apartment. It's also much less likely. They're usually more professionally run. They usually have a building manager who isn't financially tied to the building. Yes, some buildings are better than others.
Quote:
The grid in Vancouver to me is actually better for people who take transit. While the sub division style is getting better. For a long time they built them with no way for a pedestrian to cut through. Which forces them to walk a longer route to a bus stop.
Yes, I agree. I like the grid for the arterials, but I prefer either a broken grid ( like the west end ) or curved streets like this block in East Vancouver. As a side benefit, it creates spaces where parks can go.
Quote:

The owner was thinking about it. And some of the older people were worried that a developer was going to buy all three lots and convert it into a row house complex.

Personally I wouldn't have cared. But you can see how it can be hard to get all the lots together.
If the zoning allowed for subdivision into smaller lots, I'd imagine those houses would've been sold and row-housing made. Nothing wrong with row housing... Sure beats some of the really bad stand-alone houses I've seen.