View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I have been in similar streetcars in Lisbon and Zurich among other cities in which you purchase the ticket at a machine or a store close to the stop and when the streetcar stops all the doors open and people with the tickets hop on and other people hop off, functioning like a subway as opposed to everyone forming a line when the streetcar stops and holding up the streetcar indefinitely. I understand there are capital costs associated with purchases the equipment necessary to do that, but if we made less stops this should be easily attainable with a federal grant increasing efficiency of our public transit (This would especially make a huge difference at the beginning of the St. Charles streetcar line on Canal which takes terribly long for everyone to get on).
Another reason why I thing the RTA should follow the trend and move to electronic fare cards. Why not go ahead upgrade the Jazzy Pass to the same level as, for example, the MTA Metrocard. They already have to technology and the equipment.