View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I'm huge on reuse, and often to others' annoyance, but the Joe's exterior has exactly zero architectural value. It was built in a rush and on the cheap to keep the Red Wings from bailing to the suburbs...and it shows. It worked for what it was, and worked really well in spite of itself, but the location is awkward and it's got to be one of the ugliest arenas around.

Sure, recycle the steel, but what's the architectual argument for saving it? How is it comparable to Cobo Arena in what can be done with it in a reconstruction?

The only thing I'll miss about it is the name. You know much like when the Tigers lost their stadium, that the new name will be corporate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I definitely agree its architecture is nothing to rival Tiger Stadium or the Silverdome, but I think both the historical and architectural components of a facility should be factored in. It's seen a lot of Red Wings hockey which is one of the few constant things Detroit has had going for it.

As for what I'd do with it, I'd have to look at what the plans are for the convention center, but my initial thoughts are it should either have the precast seating sections gutted for an expanded exhibit hall or have its seating drastically reduced for either mid sized events or performing arts. Then there's the whole Maple Leaf Gardens concept of building buildings within a building.

But yea, I think the name is what draws it to me more so than anything else. Would really hate to lose it, especially after losing architecturally significant places like Tiger and Olympia.
The Joe is basically a large hanger that doesn't really have much going for it architecturally. As LMich says it was built quickly and on the cheap.

Coming back from out west I was disappointed personally how far from the ice some of the upper bowl seats were (call it cavernous?) after the atmosphere at the Olympia (Yes, I'm that old). And the steps were the only way in at first save the elevator off Atwater. The suites were an afterthought and really in the nether regions. I won't miss the place.