View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:38 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I was a little disappointed to see the Forbes building go. Sure, it was only one storey tall, but it was unique and elegant, in its way, though the exterior was obviously quite rundown. I hope whatever replaces it is worthwhile.
I agree. It is good to have a mix of old and new and many of the old buildings have quirky designs and features like giant storefront windows that tend not to be built in small infill projects.

Gottingen really needs few good high quality restoration projects. I am thinking of buildings like Menz or Bus Stop. Some of these are community spaces that may be very sensitive to rent levels; maybe the city should come up with some restoration money like on Barrington. Some of this money could come from density bonuses in the North End.

I also get the feeling that in general Halifax's upkeep standards are just too low, and expecting landlords to go from peeling vinyl to regularly painted wood siding wouldn't actually cause an affordability crisis or much discernible maintenance impact in the long run.